Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sat-ur-day is a special day...

I think that I mentioned before that we have been having a hard time getting to church early enough. I felt the need to turn over a new leaf. When we got home today I got out the iron and ironed the boys shirts and pants and set them out for tomorrow and then got the diaper bag ready. As I was ironing I was letting myself feel like a good mother, you know the kind that the general authorities talk about. The kind that every Saturday evening ironed all thirteen of their children's Sunday clothing so that they could be presentable before the Lord thus teaching her children an unforgettable lesson about the importance of the Sabbath and church attendance. I just had to tune out the chaos around me to continue in the fantasy. While I ironed Luke began pulling all the clothing out of his closet (Nat caught him before he got very far) and dumped his bath water all over the bathroom floor. Noah scooted around the front room putting choking hazards in his mouth. Nonetheless, I felt like I was doing the right thing by ironing little linen pants and button down shirts. Do you think I have my priorities messed up?
Here's the whole mess, ready to go in the morning.
This is Luke's pile. I even sat down and wrote out dot-to-dot reverent words for him to practice tomorrow at church. He has a special snack and water as well.
I have been such a terrible baby mom lately. When Luke was Noah's age I always remembered to bring him developmentally appropriate toys wherever we went. Noah gets to play with whatever I can find in the car. I was feeling so ambitious tonight that I went through and found him two quiet toys to play with in sacrament meeting tomorrow.

I even picked out and ironed my church outfit. This should really save us some time because I usually try on three or four outfits before settling on the same thing that I wear every week. I used to drive my mother crazy because I wore several outfits everyday. I haven't changed much. Now I just drive Nat crazy.

We will know whether or not my efforts were successful if we get in the car a few minutes earlier and still like each other (Sunday mornings can cause hurt feelings if you're caught up in the rush).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love those outfits

Blog Archive