Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bon Voyage Emma!


There are lots of times when I wish that I were more articulate, better able to express the way that I am feeling. I have often thought that If I went back to school I would like to get another degree in being articulate. Right now I am finding myself at a loss for words.

I have felt, from time to time, like Heavenly Father has allowed me clear impressions of why I was sent to earth when I was. I was sent to be Nat's eternal companion, to mother my boys, to learn from my parents, to serve a mission in Chile-- meet and teach the people there. I have always felt like Marisha was part of my earthly mission.

Well, I just hugged and said good-bye to another part of my life's work. Emma will be getting on a bus at five in the morning to move to Utah, in large part because I pushed her to do it. I have felt all along that this was the right choice for her and that she would be better off out west. I still feel this way but I am also feeling a sense of loss. This feels like a chapter of life is closing, a very special chapter. I was able to witness Emma's conversion to the gospel and watch her, with awe, as she made difficult choices and overcame great obstacles. It has been a huge blessing to watch her grow and be able to mentor her through the transition. I am so proud of the progress that she has made and am excited to see all the progress that she is about to make.

But, there is a sense of nostalgia because now it feels like she is growing up and moving on. I feel like the most time intensive part of my work with her is done. She's a big girl now and what she does from here on out will determine the quality of the rest of her life. But, it is now time for her to make those choices alone. My influence is more limited and I am having a hard time letting go. I can only imagine the way that her moms feel. I am excited that at the opportunities that she will have but sad that I won't see her everyday. Is this what it feels like when your kid goes to kindergarten? I wonder if I taught her enough about the gospel, bore my testimony enough, told her how much her Heavenly Father loved her enough. Was it enough? Does she know that the atonement is the answer to all things? I sure hope so.

So, I'll tell her one more time. Emma, Heavenly Father loves you and has a plan for your life. I am grateful that your plan included meeting me. Christ loves you and has atoned for your sins, mistakes, and heartaches. Say your prayers, read your scriptures and rely on the Lord. We love you, Emma!

Family, take good care of my little Emma!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what beautiful pictures

Blog Archive