Saturday, July 08, 2006

I grew up on this guy!

Bob McGrath from Sesame Street had a show for kids this morning at a music store (the kind that sells pianos, guitars, etc. rather than the kind that sells CDs)in Madison. I found out about it because Bob was on a show on public radio yesterday, and Luke has been talking about it nonstop (I have to admit that I have been, too) for the past 24 hours. It was really important to Luke that we included both Bob AND Cookie Monster when we talked about it. For example,
Me: Luke, are we going to see Bob from Sesame Street tomorrow?
Luke: And Cookie Monster.
Or,
Carrie: Luke, you need to get dressed so we can go see Cookie.
Luke: And Bob.

While we waited in line, store employees played Sesame Street songs on a piano and bass, as this 20-something guy with long hair sang "Rubber Ducky" and "C is for Cookie." He had a pretty good Cookie Monster voice.

Cookie Monster greeted us as we came in. Luke was excited to see him (I think it was his favorite part of the whole thing), and he gave him a big hug. Then he really wanted to see Cookie again after we left the show, so I got to get a picture with him that time.


Then we sat on the floor with about 40 other kids and their parents in a cozy little studio. Bob came in and did a 20 minute show with interactive songs. It was really fun. There were some old favorites ("Sing, sing a song...", "If you're happy and you know it") and some others that I wasn't familiar with. Carrie and I kept saying to each other, "I grew up on this guy"--a line from an episode of The Greatest American Hero in which Ralph Hinckley takes his class to go see the guy who played the Lone Ranger at a mall appearance.


3 comments:

Emily Bell said...

I'm sorry, but that picture of Bob gave me a thrill. I grew up on that guy too.

Carrie said...

yes, bob is totally sweet. he was also really sweet on the public radio program that he was on.

Emily Bell said...

How was he sweet? Describe him, if you will, for a star-struck fan...