Thursday, March 06, 2008

The worst night of ever...

Let me preface this post by saying that most of the time Noah is an absolute dream about going to sleep. I take him into his room, give him his blanket and bear bear and then kiss him and lay him down. He then blinks his big blue eyes at me and rolls over and goes to sleep.

Last night was a hilarious (in retrospect) exception. Nat was at stake priesthood meeting (of course) and so I was alone with the boys. I gave them both a bath and then got them lotioned and jammied up. Then it was time to put Noah to bed (I always put him down first so that Luke gets his one-on-one time). So we did the whole routine and Noah rolled over and looked like he was going to go to sleep. Luke and I went downstairs to put some laundry in and I heard Noah start to SCREAM. I gave him a few minutes to calm down and fall asleep and then I start to hear him throwing things and banging on his crib. So, I go in and get him. I try rocking and his back arches. Then I try walking him around and singing to him. Luke is helping me with all of this-- whispering sweet nothings into Noah's ear, kissing his head and singing softly. After trying to put Noah down several times without success (read: more screaming and throwing things out of his crib) we all try and lay down together in Luke's bed. Luke holds perfectly still and tries his hardest to help Noah sleep. Noah is WILD-- climbing all over both of us, kissing us repeatedly, and pulling my hair. He is also practicing his newfound vocabulary by saying every single word he knows. In addition keeps getting right in my face, cocking his head and asking, "Daddy?" It is after this continues for a few minutes that Luke says to me, "Mom, this is the worst night of ever!" I then started giggling-- Luke had been taking this job so seriously.

Luke then insisted that I call Nat and tell him how bad Noah was being. Luke got on the phone and said, in his most exasperated voice, "Dad we've tried everything!"

These first children really have a heavy cross to bear don't they?

No comments: