Our little man broke his right wrist yesterday!

Here's the story and some play by play photos. We were at the clinic in the morning for Noah's four month appointment. We always pick Nat up at work on our way to the clinic and then Nat and Luke play and read magazines while I go into the appointment. After Noah's appointment (he weighs 16 lbs 2oz. by the way-- big boy!) we were walking down the stairs on the way out to the car. Nat was ahead of us, carrying Noah. I was a few stairs ahead of Luke watching him walk down the stairs (he hasn't need help down the stairs for at least a year now). I turned to say something to Nat and then I heard him fall. I picked him up right away I could tell from the scream that it was bad. He wouldn't let us look at it or touch it for a while. He just wanted to sit on my lap and cry. Then I suggested that we get a little something to eat. We stopped by Wendy's (they have taken the trans fats out of their fries) and got him a small fry. He made me feed him because he wouldn't let go of his wrist, "just put them in my mouth" is what he told me. At that point I realized that it probably needed to be looked at. So we drove over to the other clinic where they have urgent care and took their next available appointment which wasn't until later that afternoon. So, we came home and Luke took his nap-- holding his wrist the whole nap. When we finally got in to see the doctor they did x-rays and it was, indeed, broken. It is just a small break but it looks like he will have to get a cast on later in the week when the swelling has gone down. My heart sank when she came in and told us that it was broken. This is my first break as a mother. Nat and I have never broken bones and so we are charting new territory as a family. We are trying not to make a big deal out of it and help Luke feel like he can still do everything. He has already figured out how to do a lot of things with his left hand. But, there is something tragic about seeing a child that small with a cast. He doesn't know that and we're trying to keep him moving and maintain our normal routine. It's hard though because we are both inclined to be very delicate with him.

Here he is in the car on the way to the clinic. Can you see how he is holding his wrist? He held it all day until they wrapped it up.

I love this face.

He is actually kind of proud of his little ace bandage. This is what he told me about it, "When I go to nursery on Sunday the other kids are going to ask me, 'what's that?' and I will tell them 'it's my cast' ". He said, "it's my cast" in a tough sort of voice. He also told me that he liked having a cast (he thinks that the bandage is a cast). Leave it to him to see the bright side.

Nat thought that this looked especially sweet and tragic. Can you see his little bandaged arm sticking out from under the covers?

Here he is this morning. He slept fine and woke up ready to play. He actually built an avairy in his bedroom.

He stops to look at his arm from time to time as if he is remembering why he is slowed down.
He did get to pick out a train yesterday after the doctor (Mavis, for anyone interested in which one). That seemed to cheer him up.
So, off I go to make hot chocolate for our little man who just asked when he could take "this thing" off his paw.
No comments:
Post a Comment