We found out on Friday night that this weekend's stake conference wouldn't go on as planned due to a snow storm which would be followed by an ice storm. It had been a long week and so the cancellation was welcome.
Yesterday was full of snowy mishaps. We braved the snow to go to a birthday party for an adorable little friend of Luke's. Our car got stuck on the way home and we had to be pushed all the way up a long hill. Then Nat took the bus to school to work the afternoon. On his way home he missed his stop (he was reading Chemical and Engineering news-- I have a hard time believing it could possibly be that interesting) and had to run a mile home in the snow. On his way he stopped to help push another car out of the snow. He came home absolutely SOAKED. He took a warm shower and I made him some hot cocoa (I'm an awfully good wife, don't you know?). Then, during bedtime routine, I looked out the window and noticed that there was a van stuck in the circle across the street from out house. So, the boots went on and Luke and I cheered Nat on as he helped another friend in need. We decided that we would stay in until things got plowed.
That is exactly what we did. This morning we made an Oven pancake (actually Nat made it while I slept in-- he's an awfully good husband) and then we read books and played with the boys. Luke and Nat also dug us out of the snow so we can leave when we want to.
When Noah went down for his morning nap the rest of us went about making a Christmas tree and ornaments out of felt (we listened to the entire Messiah while we worked). It turned out very well and Luke was proud of his contribution. I was proud of how well he followed directions. I will post pictures if I can get any good ones. Nat really is wonderful. He jumps on board with all of my crafty ideas. Once I come up with an idea he is ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. These boys are lucky to have him as a role model. My dad is always telling me how well I married, like he can't quite believe it.
Then there was a lunch of summer sausage, cheese, Ritz, and graham crackers with peanut butter. Then nap for Luke and some down time for mom and dad (while Noah kept escaping to try and find his brother-- we're pretty sure he said "Luke" today). Then some crafting time in the basement (can't tell you what I'm working on-- top secret). Dinner was pulled pork sandwiches and baked beans. The pork simmered in the crock pot all day.
Really it was a perfect day; rest, good food, and family time. But, to be honest I am ready for the busyness to start back up again. It was enough down time for me.
Here are some pictures from Luke's first snowy adventure this year.
1 comment:
Rest and food! That IS the perfect day! I sang "Let It Snow" at the top of my lungs on my way home from work tonight (my XM radio has all-holiday channels.) The irony of singing this in CA was not lost on me. I used to always miss my bus/subway stops in NY when I was too distracted by Chemical Engineering News, too!... If by "Chemical Engineering News" you meant People Magazine.
Post a Comment