Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mission ache

Whilst brushing Luke's teeth tonight I started telling him the story someone from my mission who had lost his teeth. This prompted a trip to the basement to find my mission scrapbook and a picture of the man whose teeth were eaten by sugar bugs.

Now, after looking through pictures and telling Luke stories, I am left with a tangible ache in my heart. It's so hard to remember and not be there. Is there anyway to think about the mission without hurting?

1 comment:

canoelover said...

Funny you should say that...I am in the process of scanning my slides from my mission to archive them (and to organize them too). It is very, very strange. It has been 26 years and I can still look at a slide and remember not only the city it was in, but where in the city it was and what I was doing when I took it. It's amazing.

And yes, it hurts. Both the good way, and the not so good way. Italy is a tough mission in a lot of ways...not a lot of positive reinforcement. I liken my mission to good dark chocolate. Not very sweet, but it has a richness and depth you might miss in sweeter concoctions.