Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What Is It About the Good Old Days?

A few days ago, I was hanging clothes out on the line at my mother-in-law's house with a couple of these milling around my feet:

and I couldn't believe how relaxing it was. It was just me, the cats and some warm afternoon wind. It was strange how satisfying the whole chore was. Maybe it's my pioneer blood, or maybe I was just feeling homesick for Nauvoo, but there was just something quiet and...honest about hanging my clothes outside to dry in the sun.


Then I heard Addie crying inside, and my meditative moment was over. When I took the clothes down, they were stiff, but they smelled like sun. I'm going to make Caleb put a clothesline in our yard when we get a house.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

There is nothing more domestic than hanging clothes in the sun to dry.

My Madison neighbors used their clothes line year round and swore that stuff still dried in the cold.

Ashley and Caleb said...

I wouldn't think that things would dry at ALL in Madison, what with the humidity and all. :) But year round? That's dedication. Can you imagine tromping out there in snowboots to get your popsicle clothes off the line?