Day One:
We went to Waterton National Park and Caleb went up to Summit Lake. I hiked around Cameron Lake for a while.

As you can tell, I didn't hold my baby much that weekend. This is Caleb's aunt Andrea holding Addie, and her daughter Mirielle (I'm not positive that's how you spell her name, but you get the picture) and Caleb's cousin's wife Dana on the end.
This was outside the Prince of Wales Hotel. It was push-you-over windy out there as you can tell from my hair.
On the way into the park, there were deer just wandering around. They were not afraid of people at all. To me, it was a little sad. "Wild" life in name only. But it sure makes for some great pictures. I was close enough to touch these three little fawns.

I waved bye to the deer and it was off to Waterton Main Street for ice cream. Here we are with Uncle Mark "baby hog" Van Bloem and Mikayla (another hard to spell daughter of Andrea's.) Then Maegan (Another of Andrea's girls) and Dana again.
Day Two:First thing in the morning, we visited a Hutterite Colony and all of the Hutterite ladies wanted to hold Adelaide. They're an interesting bunch, those Hutterites. They all spoke with a German accent even though most of them had been born and raised in North America. They can all speak an Austrian German, High German and English. This lady said that if Adelaide was having a hard time sleeping, we should "give her a little Schnapps." (This must be said in a German accent.) We ate the best meal of the trip here. Homegrown everything: salad (including homemade croutons) peaches, apricots, beef, milk, and really interesting pickled peas. They tasted just like pickles but without the mushiness of the cucumber. SO yummy.

Then onto the Pioneer Village. On the way in we saw this and had to get a picture:
Here's Caleb taking in the sights at the Pioneer Village. He loves history in any way, shape or form.
They let you touch everything, which is a little counter intuitive, but hey, I'm not going to argue. Here I am making a very important call:
When you picture a couple of multimillionaires isn't this what springs to mind?
The King Brothers. I had to take a picture of these guys. Don't they look like they're from a movie or something? They owned this ranch and made a LOT of money on land deals. They ended up just living in a cabin in the mountains until they died a few years ago. Ok...whatever makes you happy I guess.After the Pioneer Village we went to Frank Slide and the Frank Slide Mine. The actual rock slide is pretty amazing to look at. I didn't go on the hike up the slide because it was supposed to be pretty intense and Addie was finally taking a good nap, but we did go to the mine. It was really cold, but interesting. I nursed the baby in the dark in there. I just walked along behind everyone in the dark with no one the wiser. Except you now.


Day Three:Most of the family went rafting down St. Mary River, but Addie and I stayed home to do laundry. (Thus, no pictures. We didn't want the camera floating down a river.) Adelaide and I both got a good nap. We were both tired from the day before. When the group got home, we did a talent show over at the church cultural hall. Adelaide's talent was rolling over. She did an encore performance.
There was also a circus act that involved a lot of spinning around.
The Van Bloem Family Singers did their thing. It was really neat to see the siblings up there together.
Day Four:The next day was Sunday, and after church we watched some slides and did family pictures. All of the cousins started piling on top of each other, and someone decided it was a good photo op. Everyone was laughing pretty hard.
Then of course the "grown ups" wanted to get in on it. After this picture, Grandpa literally hopped up and helped his wife to get off the ground. It was wild to watch. I hope I'm that spry when I'm over eighty.
I think my daughter is so photogenic. What do you think?
Day Five: (the trip home)
We decided to go through Glacier Park. We were going to take our time and get out every once in a while, and we stumbled on this glacier river that led into a deep pool. The water was so clear and blue-green, it almost looked like water in Hawaii. Caleb and Paul decided they wanted to jump in. Of course. (The other guy in the pictures here is a guy from Minnesota who was there with his family. They were a funny group.)

This was taken right before Paul and Caleb jumped off that cliff into glacier water. I got a video of it but it's pretty long so I won't post it here on this novella.
Adelaide loved getting the cold water splashed on her feet.
The Canadian Rockies are so beautiful and TALL. I loved them.
On the way out we saw a grizzly. You may need to enlarge this and squint, but he's there, lumbering around. After we left the park we got down to the business of driving home...for 12 more hours. We got home at about one in the morning, but it was so worth it. Canada: I could drink a case of you.

2 comments:
Thanks for the great post. I loved the picture of the Hutterite lady holding Adelaide. Is Schnaps against the word of wisdom?
And in the helmet and on the stage. Yes she is photogenic.
Post a Comment