Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Jumpoff!

Luke informed me on Sunday that it was Jumpoff Peppercaun's (his imaginary friend) 16th birthday. I was then informed on Monday that it was Kookaburra's (his other, recently invented, imaginary friend) birthday as well. Later, Luke decided that his little dog Shiloh was turning 16 as well. All these birthdays called for a celebration for Family Home Evening. Luke and I sat down in the morning to plan it out and then we ran a bunch of errands to find all the necessary components for a successful imaginary friend birthday party.

Dinner:

oven roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, broiled chicken and avocado salad

Luke and Noah each inhaled as much corn as we would let them get away with

The birthday cake was a compromise, Luke requested a frosted cake but I don't really care for frosting. So, we agreed that a peach cobbler with ice cream "frosting" would be okay, as long as the ice cream had sprinkles on it. I had intended to have candles on the cake as well. However, the matches were not allowed to make the move and we had no way to light them.


Decorations:

We had intended to blow up balloons and ran out of time. But, we did manage a few signs. This one is my favorite. Look at that "Happy"-- his attention waned before he could get to "Birthday".

Games:
Luke originally requested checkers, chess and water balloons as the games for tonight. As it turned out we did do water balloons on the deck, we don't own checkers (which I was unaware of), and we have chess pieces but no board.

Water Balloons




Some game called "Oh Rats"
Chess, played with Luke's rules-- you set up all the pieces and then try and knock down the other color

9 comments:

Ashley and Caleb said...

i love those water balloon pictures the most, especially the shot of Luke popping one in his hands- classic. Happy Birthday Jumpoff!

Kirsti said...

What a creative little boy you have got! Everyday really should be celebrated.

wsb said...

oh my gosh I miss you guys so much already! You really have to start answering your phone Carrie...

Emily Bell said...

You forgot to mention one of the cutest parts of the dinner- Nat toasting the birthday boy. I think you two are some of the best parents ever. It's gotta feel good to have your parents celibrate your imaginary world with you.

Whitney said...

That had me laughing out loud, Care. Thank you Luke for being so awesome. (Ditto to EmilyB).

meg said...

And I was glad to see that Carrie is back in form taking pictures of food.

Patience said...

I love it! Why is 16 such a magic number? It is at our house too :)

Emily said...

So awesome! Happy birthday to Jumpoff and Kookaburra, indeed, because imaginary friends are people, too. :) Such a beautiful way to love and support your kid. Makes me feel so much better after my recent trip to Target where all I heard is parents yelling at their kids, you know?

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Um...I still can't get past the you-don't-like-frosting part. No frosting? NO FROSTING? If I had an imaginary friend his name would be Mr. Frosting and we would talk about how much we love frosting and invent frosting flavors together and have birthday parties every day. Looks like a super fun party though, all the same. You guys are so cool. (Frosting preferences aside.)