This was a seed at the beginning of May:
Luke are I were harvesting carrots this afternoon for our evening soup and I told him to just take the greens off and we would take them straight to the compost pile. He said, "You're right, mom. We just want the oranges."
Speaking of our compost pile...
I went out to throw away the stems from the basil that I had just turned into pesto when this caught my eye.
I have about six volunteer basil plants growing around my compost pile. We had a few plants go to seed earlier this summer and so we threw them in the compost and started over in the planter. Next thing I know I have more basil-- the thought almost makes me giddy. What a gift!
I am planning on cutting back the volunteers and making and freezing more pesto tomorrow. It will surely brighten some lonely winter evening to thaw it out and enjoy it over some homemade pasta.
Here's another set of volunteers a little closer to the actual compost:
2 comments:
I need basil, big time. Send me some ASAP. Dinner tonight. Love you! Love your garden!
ah, the differences between wisconsin and utah. i have a volunteer basil plant too but it looks stunted next to yours. but still. . .
Post a Comment