
This is the story of Luke going to preschool by himself (sniff, sniff) for the very first time today.
Nat stayed home a little later to walk to school with us. We loaded the boys in the chariot and walked the ten minutes from our house to school. Luke was feeling a little nervous. He held hands with Noah to make himself feel better. He has been really excited to go to preschool all summer long. He did start telling me yesterday that he was a little "concerned" to go to school.
We paused out in front of the classroom for a quick picture. He wasn't very interested in looking at the camera.
I then stood outside the door, clutching my heart and fighting back tears (cut me a little slack, he's my first and my snuggle buddy). I felt much better when I found that I could watch through the window. I allowed myself a few minutes of Luke watching and then Nat rode off to school and I walked Noah home.
My hesitations were short lived. Noah went down for his nap as soon as he got home and slept the ENTIRE time. I had to wake him when it was time to pick Luke up. I decided that I could get used to this kind of alone time. I cleaned, did laundry, and checked my email in peace.
I went back a few minutes early and talked to the other parents outside the door while the kids finished up. There are several moms who I really like and it was nice to chat about our little ones. When it was time Ms. Linda opened up the door and the kids flooded out to find their parents. It was very charming. I loved hugging my little man and feeling his sense of accomplishment as he told me what a wonderful day he had. Mrs. T confirmed that he had a great day and didn't cry at all. When I asked what he did at school he said, "whatever Mrs. T told me to do." He'd had such a great time he tried to go back in. Tomorrow sweetheart, tomorrow.
I have been magnifying my parental calling to badger him about details of his day. I am getting bits and pieces and am slowly starting to get the picture. He painted at craft time, made a friend named Paul, played blocks with a friend whose name he doesn't know, learned that Jesus loves you even when you are having a bad day, and ate teddy grahams and pretzels at snack time.
I couldn't be happier with my choice of preschool. I love the women who are taking care of my little guy while at school. This is going to be good, really good for all of us.
2 comments:
Oh that Mountain Olive school! I miss Luke every day. He is a lot to miss. And Noah too. I feel a need to mail pink gum. What am I going to start mailing to little No-No?
also, noah is sleeping in the blanket i made for him. that makes me happy.
Post a Comment